Sunday, October 4, 2015

Before You Say Anything...

...yes, I have not written anything in three weeks. Do I have a good excuse? I don't know, does four cities, lots of game-making, and even a run-in with the law count as a good excuse?!

Let's backtrack, shall we?

I attended lots of school while not writing this post, but I also didn't attend lots of school either. Our program allows for a lot of travel, so they give us two weeks of class, followed by one week of either independent travel or travel with your core class (my gaming class). Seeing as how my travel with my core class isn't until two weeks from now, I had this past week off for independent travel. And boy, did I travel.

But wait, I forgot to backtrack more. Those two weeks were filled with school. I'm sorry I don't have exciting recaps for note-taking, test-acing, or completing assignments, but I'll work on that for next time when I don't have to recap as much. That first weekend I traveled to Munich to experience one of the wonders of the world - Oktoberfest.

Now, I had an unfortunate and unwarranted interaction with security, which I documented in some public Facebook posts here and a necessary clarification post here. Before you ask, I'm fine. In fact, I'd go so far as to say I'm great. We all face adversity in life and I believe it makes us better. And also, I have way too much to recap in this post to focus on this already heavily documented topic.

Let's get to a fun recap!

During my next exhilarating week of class (not gonna lie - I actually am thoroughly enjoying all my classes, but I don't think recapping class is too exciting for you guys), I attended a hygge dinner with some fellow students and it was fantastic. I linked to that section of that Wikipedia page because the concept of "hygge" is impossible to fully explain, but Wikipedia is the master articulator.

After enduring my exhausting two full weeks of class (please note the sarcasm here), I finally got a break. I traveled with a few of my friends to Prague, Vienna, and Budapest. Eight days of being the best tourist I could possibly be - waking up bright and early to ride a double-decker tourist bus around each city and taking pictures of literally everything remotely interesting, and then somehow mustering up the energy to experience the nightlife of whichever city I was in (even if it was Vienna on a Tuesday night).

Prague was gorgeous, but super touristy and maybe a little bit sketchy. They love their bridges and I dug them, too. Lots of walking in this one and way too crowded because we were there Saturday to Monday, aka tourist time. Overall, my least favorite of the three cities, but only because the other two were so awesome.

Vienna, oh Vienna, how I love thee. We spent the longest amount of time here - three nights from Monday to Thursday. This city is full of life, history, and reminded me a lot of something my dad would enjoy. (Hi Baba!) However, this was one of those things that even I enjoy, too. Highlights of this city include:

  • Wurstelprater (the oldest amusement park in the world)
  • Schönbrunn Palace (a former imperial summer palace, which has the craziest backyard I've ever seen)
  • Viennese Sausage (IT'S A HUGE HOT DOG FILLED WITH CHEESE AND THEN THROWN IN A BAGUETTE, WHO DOES THAT, IT WAS AMAZING)

Finally, we move to Budapest. Here's a highlight: 1 USD equals about 280 Hungarian Forint. Here's another highlight: I felt like I was the king of Hungary. I spoiled myself and still managed to spend less than in any other city I've been to thus far. #BallinOnABudapestBudget. The city itself is beautiful, the architecture is unreal, and the Parliament makes me salivate (I was also under the impression that I was rich enough in Hungary to actually just live there, but even I know that's not possible with my bank account). I returned to Copenhagen Saturday night and I'm still working on catching up on sleep, but I'll get back to you on that.

And there we are - Sunday. Welcome to October. Ignoring the fact that I only posted once in September, let's pretend this month will be the one I post every Sunday. C'est la vie (I had a layover in Brussels and am now fluent in French). Until next time, whenever that may be!

It'll be next Sunday. Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment