Monday, August 31, 2015

Timmy the Scholar

So I lied about the whole every Sunday thing; however, in my defense, Monday is only one day after Sunday. Don't believe me? Check your calendars. Check them all.

I've finally begun my second full week of classes, or as I like to call it, the week when real work begins. No more syllabus. No more "getting back into it." It's here. Have fun. Good luck. Welcome to... ~*September*~.

Although September doesn't begin until tomorrow, it already feels like it's in full swing. We've had rain nearly every day this week and nightly temperatures are dropping faster than my tolerance for Donald Trump's "campaign." On that note, I couldn't count the number of Danes who ask me everyday if the USA is seriously considering electing Trump. My answer is always the same - either Americans are joking or I'm moving to Canada.

On the topic of Canada and off the topic of politics, The Weeknd just dropped his newest album this "weeknd" (pun 100% intended) and it is definitely one of the highlights of my week. This was a difficult feat to accomplish, seeing as how other highlights included food (this is always its own highlight) and spending the weekend at my host family's summer house in some Northern coastal woods with them and their friends. It was amazing. I always forget how calming the silence of the ever-scary woods at night is, regardless of however real the imminent threat of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre guy flying over to the Danish countryside is (very real).

Anyway, let's bring this back to classes. Here's some courses you won't remember reading later when you ask what I studied this semester:
  • Video Game Development (with lab)
  • Danish Language & Culture
  • Conspiracy Theories & Historical Controversies
  • Television & Culture

Now that's what I like to call 15 credits of fun (maybe not so much that last one right now, but we'll get back to that eventually). My professors are all pretty cool and well-versed in their respective fields, so studying here really feels like a unique experience. Nerding it up in Video Game development, and I'm totally loving my two three-hour gaming classes a week.

As you can clearly see, I have returned to my scholarly roots. Timmy the Scholar has returned. Hide your books. Hide your calculators. Because he's back. And his intellectual curiosity is increasing rapidly. Maybe even... exponentially.

1 comment: